Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Apostle's Creed


Hi everybody (like...all three people who read my blog, counting my Mom...sigh, I digress)


Had a thought and I figured I'd share it.

We never read the Apostles Creed in Church anymore.

Why? There's nothing wrong with it. It's a perfectly good statement of faith!

Is has also occurred to me that too many Christians either don't know what they believe or worse - don't bother to think or meditate on this stuff.

Theology isn't the job of the eggheads in universities and seminaries. It's the job of the church.
And we are the church!

So here's my plan. Sometime soon we're going to go through a new sermon series at Faith UMC. What we're going to do is go through all of the Apostle's Creed - line by line. We're gonna refocus ourselves on our core beliefs and try to look at some hard questions that come up.

I'm also going to post reflections on each topic every week as a spiritual discipline on this blog - and as a way to incorporate your comments and questions into the sermon.

I'm thinkin' that once school lets out in early May (for me that is...), it would be a good time to start the series.

Let me know what you think!


Peace and Love in Jesus' Name,

Pastor Mike


Oh yeah, here's a link that has several versions of the creed in it as well as some interesting history
the picture above is a mosaic of the apostles ("the original boy band")

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just for you....I post....
Actually, I like this idea very much!