Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Holy Week at Faith UMC!






Above are several pictures detailing some notable events from Holy Week (April 9th through the 11th, plus Easter Sunday).

The first is a large wooden cross that I made (all by myself!) with some cannibalized lumber from some old bookshelves from the parsonage basement. I had a lot of fun making this, it felt good to put something together with my own two hands. I used this cross in two different worship services during Holy Week.

On Good Friday, we had a small, short and sweet afternoon service. It culminated in a time of silent confession where each person there wrote a confession of some kind (and no, I did not read any of these besides my own – so I don’t know what people wrote) and proceeded to nail it to the cross. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the passion story that we forget why Jesus died. It was for me, for you and for all. It was to save us from our sins.

2nd Corinthians 5:21 - God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

We nailed our sins to the cross to symbolize how Jesus took on the sin of all humanity so that in his death all sin is destroyed.

After the service I took the cross and tried to find a place to set it during our sunrise service on Easter morning. I found a large tree stump on the side of the parsonage with a hole in it. The cross fit perfectly, but as I stuck in there I evidently chased a young blacksnake out of its hiding place and it crawled up into the azalea bush next to the stump.

That really made me think.

God has dealt with sin through the cross of Christ. In the Old Testament, a sin offering was made not to appease God, but to chase sin out of the community by placing the sins of the people on a sacrificial animal that was led away from the city and away from that community. Christ was the sacrifice that chased sin out of the community that is all creation, His sacrifice on the cross chased sin out of existence. And here I was chasing a serpent out of its hole…with a big ‘ol cross.
Hmm….

Anyways on Easter Sunday, during our sunrise service we set the cross in that stump as we burned away those “sins” that we wrote down, symbolizing God’s forgiveness. We then proceeded to “flower” the cross to represent the new life that we now have in Jesus Christ, our crucified and risen savior!

Romans 6:4 (NASB) Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

No comments: